In 1959, the old Burney School was sold to Riley Taylor, R.L.’s grandfather, and he built a new funeral home at 484 Burney Street, Madison, Georgia. Through the 1960s and the 1970s, R.L. was granted a license to operate the first ambulance service in Morgan County while operating the funeral home until his death in 1979.
His wife, Rena, who grew up in the funeral business took over the business and ambulane services. Later in the 1980s, the ambulance service was dissolved. Ms. Rena continue to operate Jones and Turner Funeral Home until her death in 2009. After her death, her son William assume ownership of the business and continues to operate the business with a dedicated and dependable staff. The funeral home was a meeting place for many civic organizations for residents of Madison and Morgan County.
Jones and Turner Funeral Home is by far the Oldest Black Owned Business in Morgan County and the city of Madison, Georgia and serve the community and surrounding counties. “We Have Come This Far by Faith” for over 65 years thinking of the heritage and tradition, continuing to do what we do best.